Meaning of the word "Muharram" : - The word Muharram means "Forbidden."
About the Month of Muharram : - Muharram is the month with which the Muslims begin their lunar Hijrah Calendar. It is one of the four sanctified months about which the Holy Quran says, "The number of the months according to Allah is 12(mentioned) in the Book of Allah on the day in which He created heavens and the earth. Among these 12 months, there are 4 that are sanctified.
Fasting during the month : -
Rasulullah has said, "The best fasts after the fasts of Ramadan are those of the month of Muharram."
Although the fasts of the month of Muharram are not obligatory, yet, the one who fasts in these days out of his own accord is entitled to a great reward by Allah Ta'aala. The Hadith cited above signifies that the fasts of the month of Muharram are most rewardable ones among the Nafl fasts.
There are many bounties of this month, especially the 10th of Muharram a.k.a. "Ashura".
According to the Ibn Abbas, when Rasulullahmigrated to Madinah, found that the Jews of Madinah used to fast on the 10th day of Muharram. They said that it was the day on which Musaand his followers crossed the Read Sea miraculously and Firawn was drowned in its water. On hearing this from the Jews, Rasulullah said, "We are more closely related to Musa than you," and directed the Muslims to fast on the day of "Ashura."
Two of the many virtues of the 10th of Muharram
1) On this day he who spends more lavishly for the sake of his family members, Allah Ta'aala will bestow blessings upon the sustenance of the following year.
2) Abu Qataada has related that Rasulullahhas reported to have said, "It is my thought that by fasting on the 10th of Muharram, Allah Ta'aala will pardon the sins of the past year." [Tirmidhi]
Events of Muharram:
1) Hadhrat Hussain was martyred on this month.
2) Shaykain Tirmidhi & Haakim has narrated from Anas that the following verse, "Allah may forgive thee of thy sins that which is past and that which is to come." (Al-Fath) was revealed on the 10th of Muharram.
3) Rasulullah went to defeat Bani Muhaarin and Bani Tha'laba (Tribes of Bani Gatfan) in the year 4 A.H.
Please email me all broken links, questions or comments, email@example.com since July 2006